Jeff and Sabrina Maness – November 5th, 2017
1. Where does the church go from here?
John 3:16 For God loved the world so much that he GAVE his one and only Son, SO THAT everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life
2. Do you believe in anointing with oil before praying for someone? What are your personal thoughts on anointing people with oil and praying for them?
James 5:13-15a 13 Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 14 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well.
3. How do you know you are effectively praying? Is there a best way to start and end a prayer?
Effective prayers are not determined by the results, but by the relationship that is built.
4. How do I deal with the parts of the Bible I feel are outdated? How do I make old material in the Bible relevant to today’s world?
1 Peter 1:23-25 23 For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the eternal, living word of God. 24 As the Scriptures say, “People are like grass; their beauty is like a flower in the field. The grass withers and the flower fades. 25 But the word of the Lord remains forever.” And that word is the Good News that was preached to you.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
Deuteronomy 20:3-4 ‘Listen to me, all you men of Israel! Do not be afraid as you go out to fight your enemies today! Do not lose heart or panic or tremble before them. 4 For the Lord your God is going with you! He will fight for you against your enemies, and he will give you victory!’
5. How can we trust the Bible as the authentic Word of God? It has passed through so many sets of human hands. It has been translated and interpreted time and time again. I can find several versions. In some passages, the versions will differ greatly. How am I to discern God’s truth from the written Word?
“The Problem of God: Answering A Skeptics Challenges To Christianity” by Mark Clark
“Evidence That Demands A Verdict” by Josh McDowell
“The Case For Christ” by Lee Strobel
6. How do you feel about businesses that advertise themselves as Christian and should we as Christians support them over one’s that don’t advertise that way?
7. How do I learn to forgive someone who molested me as a child?
elementchurchwy.com // Past Messages // Mythbusters // Week 2
Ephesians 4:32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
8. How should we react to hate or someone discriminating against us?
Matthew 5:43-48 43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy.44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
9. What is the best way to handle situations that we cannot change in our lives? How do we deal with disappointment? Can you share your favorite passages on hope? Sometimes all hope seems lost and it would be nice to have a passage to refer to in those times.
Lamentations 3:19-24 The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. 20 I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. 21 Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: 22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. 23 Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. 24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!”
Habakkuk 3:17-19 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, 18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! 19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.
Psalm 27:12-14 12 Do not let me fall into their hands. For they accuse me of things I’ve never done; with every breath they threaten me with violence. 13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living. 14 Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
10. What are some differences in Christians beliefs compared to Mormons?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download